While Gout is know as the Rich Man’s disease you don’t have to break the bank to get relief. This article offers some remedies that you can try at home. There are also additional links to home remedies for gout at the end of this post.
While what actually causes is unknown, it is known that if your body contains a high amount of uric acid you will probably experience Gout. There are also some studies that point to the following possible causes.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- High protein Diet
Gout is also associated with other types of health problems:
- uric acid kidney stones
This is why seeking treatment is important. Here is our list of home treatments for Gout.
- Apple Cider Vinegar -Apple cider vinegar can help with many issues and Gout is one of them. You can add 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar and honey, to taste, to warm water for relief.
- Ginger Root – Mix fenugreek powder, turmeric powder and dried ginger root powder in equal amounts. Add 1 teaspoon of this mixture along with warm water. Take it twice a day.
- Baking Soda – Is great for lowering the amount of uric acid stored in the body. 1/2 teaspoon with water 4 times daily will do the trick.
- Lemon Juice – Add 1 lemon to the mixture of baking soda or just the lemon juice alone 3x a day.
- Cherries – Cherries contain anthocyanins, which are known to reduce inflammation. Fifteen to twenty cherries per day for the best results.
- Epsom Salt – Soaking in a bath of warm water and Epsom salt will help. 2 to 3 times weekly.
- Bananas – Eating 1 to 2 bananas daily will help with Gout relief.
- Apples – The saying that “An apple a day keeps the doctor away.” is true. Eat an apple after every meal. This will help with Gout pain.
- Activated Charcoal – Create a paste made of 1/2 cup of charcoal power and water. Let the paste soak on your impacted part for 1/2 hour.
- Cold Water – Immerse the affected joint in cold water for ten to fifteen minutes sessions. You can also use ice packs. This can be done multiple times daily.
Give these Gout home remedies a try. Remember that no remedy will work right away but if you don’t receive relief after a few days consider another option. If things get worse you should discontinue that option